Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bit of wisdom

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." - Voltaire
I read about people reaching a point in adolescence when they realize their parents are not infallible.  And the shock that comes with this.  While I don't recall having such a moment myself, I do remember my shock at discovering physicians are not infallible.
"It is easy to get a thousand prescriptions but hard to get one single remedy." - Chinese Proverb
It's tempting to think if you can just explain things the right way, or if they could just feel it for themselves, the diagnosis and appropriate treatment would be obvious.
"Despite all our toil and progress, the art of medicine still falls somewhere between trout casting and spook writing." - Ben Hecht, Miracle of the Fifteen Murderers
Alas, we are all limited by our own senses and experiences.  And the body still manages to hide its secrets and evade the simple answer, no matter how much technology we throw at it.  And so it goes.
"Doctors think a lot of patients are cured who have simply quit in disgust." - Don Herold

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful quotes. I'm taking clinical anatomy right now with 150 med students and am scared to death to ever have any of them as my doctor in the future. I have seriously heard, "Now where is the stomoch again?" way to many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...too many late nights these days. I was supposed to type stomach and too many times. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete