Sunday, May 15, 2011

Laura Hall

We've been watching old episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway" and each time they'd introduce Laura Hall on the piano I'd have this sense of deja vu. What was it about those 3-5 seconds of holding a smile for the camera? It took me a few episodes, but it finally clicked - it's the exact same expression one of my students has when she doesn't know the answer.

K is an adorable 7 year-old little girl from Japan, who I work with for 2 hours each morning during the week. In what I'm sure is an effort to be polite and positive, when she doesn't know what to say she will look at me and just smile. She doesn't look away, she doesn't start to fidget, she puts on a smile and waits. And she has the same curved eyes and toothy smile as Laura Hall.  Which would be adorable if it weren't for the fact that it means I won't be getting an answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment