Friday, May 29, 2009

Fan fan

Is anyone else a fan fan? A fan of fans? As in those electronic things that spin around?

Since we're on the topic of sleeping...Growing up in Thailand I developed a strong attachment to our overhead fan during the hot summer nights. Now I find the soothing sound of a fan is a necessary backdrop to getting a good night's sleep. Without it I feel constantly on alert. Every little sound snaps me awake with a jolt of adrenaline.

Unfortunately, fans and I don't seem to get along. I must have some sort of electrical field around me - after a few months they inevitably become eccentric. The speed of the blades ebbs and flows, resulting in a pulsating sound that of course is never constant enough to adjust to. Or it will develop a clicking noise with no apparent source. The latest twist mirrors the power drain you sometimes see when you turn on a large appliance, such as a vacuum. The fan will be blowing with a force of say 3, then fade to a 2 for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, only to flare up to a 5 with a sudden burst of energy! Not very conducive to relaxing into a good night's rest.

Do you have anything you depend on to get a good night's sleep? Or are you one of THOSE people who can sleep when and wherever? I always wanted to be one of those people.

No comments:

Post a Comment