Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memories

What do you remember about elementary school?

Do you remember playing tag all through recess? Or a game of football?
I remember running the length of the field in pursuit of a boy on the other team, bound and determined to catch him, even if he was the fastest runner in our class. Didn't catch him. He scored. Learned a frustrating lesson in limitations. You mean I can't be the best just by wanting it with a passion?

How about four square or tetherball?
There were always those kids who would slam the four square ball, or nick a corner, or nudge it over the line with a bounce that barely cleared the asphalt.

Were you twirling around a bar on the jungle gym? Could you go over backwards?
I climbed up on one recently and walked away with pinched skin and bruises.

Do you remember playing the recorder in music class?
Hot Cross Buns over and over, and that funny little pinkie hole that was actually two holes.

How far did you get on Oregon Trail?
Shooting your dinner, stocking up on supplies, losing family members to random illness or accidents. All on those Apple computers with the black screens and bright green images.

Can you still sing the songs? Miss Mary Mack?
Having lived in Thailand from the time I was 4 until I was 7, I was at a distinct disadvantage upon returning to the States. All of those clapping games, and jump rope skills (double dutch anyone?), and catscradle configurations to learn.

Were you daring?
Picture a stretch of monkey bars similar to those pictured below, only made up of large metal circles.

Now picture an eight-year-old hooking her feet in the circles and dangling upside down. It worked too! At least the first time. Got cocky and tried it again only to end up with a rubberized asphalt burn on my cheek.
Any creative teachers?
Fifth grade we had paper airplane contests. Farthest distance, longest air time, most acrobatic, etc.
Did you have to ride the bus?
The worst was when it was packed and you had to sit three-to-a-seat, buried under your backpack.
Any favorite outfits?
I still remember feeling so cool in my grey and purple t-shirt and matching purple stretch pants. The t-shirt had a extra strips of purple fabric around the sleeves and neck to give it a slight layered look and contrast with the grey. I bought a couple pairs of comfy thick socks at $8 a pop a few months ago and I've already worn holes in the toes. This is why my mother made me wear hiking boots in elementary school - I couldn't wear through them as fast.
What are your favorite memories?

3 comments:

  1. For someone who possibly has the worst memory in the world I do very clearly remember the elementary school days. It's funny to read what memories you have because they basically are the same as mine...haha...running after boys, teather ball, four square, monkey bars (that I was insanely acrobatic on as a kid, but now can't even do a pull up!), and The Oregon Trail game..quite possibly the best computer game EVER! Wish I could get the old version on my computer at work nowadays..haha.

    I wouldn't say this is my favorite memory, but it's definitely the most entertaining elementary story that I remember. I think I was in 3rd grade and it must have been an early fall day cuz the weather was nice. I had gotten a new outfit that I was stoked about wearing. It was a red turtle neck, ribbed with a plaid blue/red/green/gold pattern skirt...and I even had the socks that went up to my knees to go with it. I was pretty smokin' that day. Well all I remember is running around like a chicken with my head cut off at recess and I collided/smacked right into another kid...Haley Moriarty was her name. I haven't seen her since grade school, but I will always remember her name because of this....And when I say smacked, I mean it!...I was out for the count and on the ground...she walked away with nothing, but I apparently had a concusion. The next thing I remember is waking up in the nurse's office feeling rather disoriented. I slowly got up and the nurse came to me to tell me that they had called my mom and she would be here soon. I just sat there waiting, starting to feel better, when my mom walked through the door. Well I don't know why my mom coming to my rescue resulted in my ralfing all over myself, but it did. The second she walked in, everything came out of me right on to my cute new outfit!...this is when I started crying..not becuase I was in pain, not because my mom had to leave work to come get me, but because I ruined my outfit. What a girl! The funny thing about it is, is that I was mostly a tomboy back then, but I guess deep down inside I was a dressed up little princess that day and I didn't want to ruin that...haha.

    Well there's a story from me...hope you liked it...Have a good one... - Sara Richards, Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad! Did you ever wear the outfit again? Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather this is great! I share many of the same memories, especially the Oregon Trial. I'm so happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete