Friday, June 12, 2009

Boats

Working in South Lake Union, I often wander down by the water on my breaks. I can't say I've lived very many places in my life, but I am getting pretty attached to the combination of water, mountains, and greenery that the Puget Sound has to offer. It's so refreshing to have the view broken up by rises and valleys and expanses of rippling water. All of this really has a chance to shine when the sun deigns to grace us with its presence.

Makes me want to own a boat of my own. Although I'm not sure if I would go for the luxury liner or the "skill-required" sailboat. Sailing is so much more interactive, but you generally don't have the generous berths of a motorboat. (I am I confusing terms here? Does the term liner refer to the huge cruise ships? Motorboat doesn't sound impressive enough - is there a term in between?)


If I had a boat I'd have to come up with a name for her. Something so permanent falls in the category of tattoos in my mind. I've toyed with the idea of getting a tattoo, but haven't the faintest idea what I'd want it to be of, or where I'd want it. At least with naming kids you have other people weighing in on the decision. ...I suppose that could be seen as a downside rather than a perk. Did you catch the Seinfeld reference in the name of the boat shown above? Did it make you laugh? Crack a smile? Anything?

I've noticed many people keep their emotions tightly in check; which I suppose helps the world run smoothly, but is a bit sad when it prevents a spontaneous burst of laughter. Laughter's good for you! Releases endorphins and exercises your ab muscles! They actually have laughter therapy classes - you've heard about those, right? Even the Pentagon is taking note: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5165226. Okay, I'm getting down off my soap box now.


Oooo...wood paneling. Forgive me if it makes me think of cheesy old cars, rather than something fancy or expensive. Have you seen the PT Cruisers with the wooden paneling on the outside? I guess they're finally embracing the fact that PT Cruisers appeal to an older generation than they were hoping for.

I really shouldn't scoff. They obviously take pride in this boat. Look how shiny it is! You can see the reflection of the dingy next to it. I bought a lovely new laptop and luckily don't have the time or compulsion to fixate on keeping the mirror finish fingerprint free (yes, I notice it. no I don't pull out a polishing rag).


If you're going to go for the wood look, I'd much prefer this one. Nice and rustic looking. But I suppose I'm jumping between a liner and a sailboat here. (did we ever figure out if liner is the correct term? ...anyone?)

No comments:

Post a Comment