Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fire

Friday night my roommate got some friends together for a BBQ at Golden Gardens. The sun was out, the sand was warm, and the beach was buzzing. I noticed a slackline set up in the woods and had a chance to practice a bit. Enjoyed a fabulous hotdog with ketchup reluctantly provided by the group next to us (so we forgot the condiments, it still seemed a bit stingey for them to begrudge us a dollop of ketchup).



As the sun set, we moved on to dessert. My multi-talented roommate had made homemade marshmallows and brought high end chocolate from her part-time job at Chocolopolis. I've never tasted such decadent s'mores!

We noticed a crowd gathering just down the beach. It turns out Friday nights are the time to gather to watch fire poi. It was amazing to see how the pictures turned out on my camera.

They use flaming swords, and balls of fire on chains.




There is a steady drum beat going in the background, to provide a constant rhythm.



The chains can be either long or short (or you can wrap them around your hands to shorten them temporarily).







A few guys were even juggling flaming batons.

The girl in the middle is using metal fans here, kind of like candellabra.

This looked like a firebird to me.

Which of these is your favorite?

Yep, I'm going to make you pick just one.

Which one is it going to be?
You can choose from all of the pictures, or just one of the last three, but I'm interested to know which one you like best.

To learn more about poi, visit this site: http://www.homeofpoi.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment